Pu'uhonua o Hanaunau

pu'uhonua o hanaunau
pu'uhonua o hanaunau
1600x1200
 
pu'uhonua o hanaunau
1024x768
 
pu'uhonua o hanaunau
200x150
 

 

Pu'uhonua o Hanaunau

 

The Pu'uhonua o Hanaunau is a National Historical Park located in the United States National Historical Park, which can be found on the west coast of the tropical island of Hawaii.

Within the park, is a preserved site which Hawaiians consider to be a “pu’uhonua” or place of refuge. Until the 19th century, locals who broke the ancient laws of the gods, called “kapu”, would flee to the pu’uhonua to escape from certain death. Those who came to this sacred place would be absolved by a priest and be freed in safety.

Apart from serving this function, the pu’uhonua provides safe haven for non-combatants and defeated warriors during times of war. The area surrounding the Great Wall enclosing the pu’uhonua was home

to generations of Hawaii’s powerful chiefs and leaders.

The Pu’uhonua occupies 420 acres of land. In 1955, it was established as a City of Refuge National Park. It was renamed on November 10, 1978. In addition to the pu’uhonua, the site includes other archeological marvels including the royal fishponds, the temple platforms and sledding tracks.

 

Since then, the Hale o Keawe temple along with some of the thatched roof structures have been reconstructed in the spirit of preserving Hawaiian culture.

 
© 2013 Hawaii Pictures